Why does the “what is DH conversation” seem to never die? I have been subjected to it throughout my (admittedly short) career in the digital humanities, and it has never actually done anything to change the scholarly practices that I engage in from day to day. Actually, I take that back: it changes my day-to-day work by by making me rage-blind, and compelling me to write hasty blog posts on my lunch break. You, my dear reader, have already probably guessed this, but I should say that I am very tired of the “What is DH” debate.
For my work on the Early Caribbean Digital Archive, I've helped to create some interesting elements, meant to tag various phrase-level and division-level textual elements. The ones that my fellow encoders and I were most interested in were a subset of elements meant to describe commodities, food, flora, and fauna. Our original intent was to use these tags to track the circulation of commodities in various stages of production, sale, and use.
This is my medium-form post. I never got a chance to write my post for the markup and metadata unit, so I'm writing what I would have tried to write for that, but more in-depth.
For my Gephi practicum, I took data from the Women Writers Project Cultures of Reception project (forthcoming) to visualize the relation between 18th/19th century women writers and the literary journals that reviewed them. I looked at five different journals and made a list of all of the women they reviewed. These comprised the nodes in my graph.
I started off this unit wanting to work on a Neatline exhibit for the ECDA, with the intent of working it into my later final project. But the recent Will Noel lecture inspired me to “get medieval” as it were, and work with a pre-modern text. My first problem arose when I tried to decide whether I should bother geo-rectifying a map. I mean, who would want to geo-rectify this?
My first experience bumping up against the complexities of space/place happened (unsurprisingly) while I was working on a DH project. Over the summer, my colleagues at the Early Caribbean Digital Archive were trying to figure out how to handle contextual encoding (e.g. personographies and placeographies) for our texts. The Text Encoding Initiative had so many possible ways of recording information about people, places, organizations, etc., and we wanted to use those to their fullest extent.
This is my reflection for Lab 1 of #f14tmn.
I find it strangely appropriate that we completed our TEI practicum after a class discussion about hacking in the digital humanities.
Now, I don't think I would have made this connection before doing this lab. Before, TEI was... just a way to mark up documents. You put tags around things, you made sure your encoding practices reflected your project's goals, you published. Pretty simple once you get used to it, really. And of course, the small assignment for class should be even simpler.